In 2018 I started a salon style event, inviting 2-3 participants each time to present photography and experiences from their travels. Viewing small, photographs via the internet and social media was not a fulfilling experience for me, so I wanted to provide a space to change this.
I select presenters based on the quality of their photography and their natural enthusiasm to speak to their content as a series. I spend time with the presenter to help them structure their presentation to tell their story in blocks or sections, instead of a linear start-to-end of a trip.
Our audience is a great mix of people from everywhere.
My goals in hosting these events are:
- To provide a space for people to show their photography on a large, bright screen.
- To provide a space for people to share their stories and experiences of traveling, allowing people to hear directly from people.
- To gather people who are interested in travel, encourage further travel, bring awareness to the great variety of destinations in the world.
- To let people speak beyond travel itself and touch on topics that are important to them.
Events and topics in 2018 included:
3 presenters in January:
- Multiple locations in Latin America
- A journey in Darjeeling and southern India.
3 presenters in February:
- A train journey from Beijing to Moscow
- Observations in Hong Kong
- Everyday topics of fruit and signage from multiple destinations.
3 presenters in April:
- Tel Aviv and Jerusalem
3 presenters in August:
- Sichuan, China
- viewpoints of architecture while traveling
- Warsaw, Poland
2 presenters in October:
- Observations of written languages while traveling
- Landscape tradition in Australian painting and its influence on observations during travel.
I select speakers based on our conversation about their experiences and quality of photographs. Events will continue in 2019 in Berlin.
Events and topics in 2019 included:
2 presenters in January:
- Moscow, returning to their birthplace now as an adult
- Japan and humour from observations of signage
2 presenters in June:
- Observations and nuances of languages while traveling
- The langauge of signage
2 presenters in July:
- Revisiting landscape tradition in Australian painting and its influence on observations during travel.
- Observations on more mundane topics while traveling.